Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Module 2 Question #3

Electronic and guideline indexes are very useful when you take the time to learn the best way to perform a search. I learned to strengthen my searching abilities after reading "How to Search" on the National Guideline Clearinghouse sight and using other tutorials. Many terms such as Boolean, wildcard and truncation, use of double quotations, were not familiar in my information searching experience. I discovered how primitive my searching techniques really were. Becoming a proficient Internet user from an educative perspective takes time and perseverance. Using a web search engine, such as Google, has always been the way I do most of my Internet searches. It seems easier when compared to electronic and guideline indexes, but often it does not carry the quality of searches (peer reviewed and best practice). In the isolated area in which I live, the resources brought via the Internet are invaluable. I can see that I need to develop my ability to utilize them. There is a lot of information that is irrelevant and of questionable authority on the world wide web. Buy using heath care specific electronic indexes the access of quality information is more likely. One alternative strategy that would be helpful is to participate in online live lectures given on specific health care topics that are offered for CME hours by belonging to organizations such as the American Heart Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment