Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Module 2 Question #1

Functional capacity testing and return to work was the clinical problem that I chose to search for. The electronic index that I used was PubMed which I accessed through the Eccles Library after taking the tutorial. I am not very confident with my knowledge in searching and Pub Med was the second index I tried. I first tried the Cochrane Library and felt like I was getting too much information all at once even thought I plan to return and try again. It was rather time consuming for me. When I tried Pub Med I watched two short videos: Simple Subject Search and Search by Author. I decided to jump in and first did a simple search that gave me too many citations (1331). By adding a "and operator" I was able to narrow my search to a much smaller, manageable citation collection. Yes, I felt that this process was time intensive, but I know that part of that is due to my learning curve. As for using this in a daily practice, I feel that barriers would be patient load and available time to search, sort, identify and make appropriate selections for application. Not all software is user friendly and many I noticed have subscriptions that must be purchased. I feel these are valuable resources and my goal is to become more savvy about them and understand which would be the most effective for my clinical setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment