Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Module 2 Question #2

The software that I am using is EndNote. I'd never used or even heard of it before starting my classes. I was very impressed by what I heard it was capable of doing. EndNotes allows searches of bibliographic databases. It can retrieve selected references directly into EndNotes and can attach the full text to articles. When searching for specific articles you can build a "library" which helps to manage them into specific folders. In trying to import the citations I found in Pub Med into EndNotes, I had difficulties. In reading the EndNote instructions that we were given by the librarian, I discovered that importing from PubMed works best if you are not at your own computer which I was. I read that exporting is not available for PubMed, so I will have to remember this for future use. My favorite feature of EndNotes is that it helps with citations while you are writing a paper and can automatically put your references into the correct APA format. I have heard many praises of the EndNote software with the caveat of being patient in learning how to use it effectively. I hope that it will become the support it is said to be throughout my career.

2 comments:

  1. Leslie,
    Thank you for the hint about not being at your computer making it easier to import. The other day I spent about 5 hours trying to figure out how to import into EndNote. Have you tried to access PubMed via the library at the U? Well if you ever want a headache try to get into the library and import articles to EndNote. I still have not figured it out. I thought I was able to handle my own on the computer. I am very quickly finding out I am only at the basic level. I am hoping to be able to learn and use EndNote effectively at some point. I am also finding out that I really don’t have much to say. I am finding it really fascinating at how long the other’s blogs are. My mother would be shocked, for once in my life I don’t know what to say.

    Keep up the good work

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn for your comment. It is a comfort to know that I am not the only one with the learning curve. I'm also hoping that EndNotes becomes second nature. So, far it is a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete